Design/Build Construction Program
L.F. Driscoll Co., in a joint venture with Tocci Building Corporation are providing design/build construction services for the modernization of the Peter W. Rodino Federal Building. Our firm will oversee an extensive scope of structural, operational and aesthetic restoration, enhancement and upgrade work on the downtown structure and home to regional offices of several US government agencies.
The 16-story, 467,000sf precast concrete building was constructed in 1968. The four year improvement program incorporates:
- gut rehab, including asbestos abatement, of nine floors of office space
- energy saving upgrades to six previously renovated floors
- major overhaul of the MEP system, including the replacement and upgrades to the central plant MEP
- full restoration and repair at all exterior elevations
- installation of a structural blast resistant glass curtainwall overclad
- rainwater harvesting, PV and solar hot water system
- LEED Silver certification
Virtual Design and Construction
Working with the architect, KlingStubbins, the team employed advanced virtual design and construction (VDC) technologies in the planning and execution of the project. The project will mark the GSA’s strongest foray into the use of 3D, 4D and 5D technologies as a means of significantly improving building quality, cost and schedule and streamlining the overall process of delivering new or renovated buildings into service for the US government.
The model is a tremendous asset in MEP clash detection and sequencing of both interior scope and the installation of the new curtainwall. The model also refines the construction process to minimize any impacts to people working in the Rodino complex. In addition to facilitating sequencing and construction, the model is going to be turned over to GSA for facilities maintenance—a first for GSA.