Two NYC Towers Built by Pavarini McGovern Top Out in Last Month
100 Vandam and the Pendry Manhattan West hotel reach construction milestone
NEW YORK, NY (Sept. 23, 2019) – Two New York City towers being built by Pavarini McGovern have topped out in the last several weeks: The residential tower at 100 Vandam and Brookfield’s Pendry Manhattan West hotel.
100 Vandam Street
Owner and developer Jeff Greene is leading the transformation of the 6-story, former plant and warehouse into a modern, 25-story residential tower. Greene used the topping out event to thank the project team for the progress the project has made so far.
“We have together restored a historic corner building in Hudson Square, such an important connection to New York’s past,” he said. “100 Vandam will remind all who drive and walk by of the great history of New York City, and those who live there will be personally connected to New York’s origins.”
Scheduled for completion in 2020, some of the complexities of the project’s design and construction include:
- Rebuilding the core: Rebuilding involved bracing the exterior walls in place with six individual bracing towers set on top of capped concrete piles. The towers each stretched 80 feet up to the top of the sixth story and tied into the building via a steel truss system at existing window openings. The entire system was designed to avoid impacts to both the façade itself and the ongoing work within the walls.
- Historic preservation: As demolition, excavation and foundation work continued, the construction team maintained a vigilant eye on the façade to monitor any impacts. Using vibration monitors, remote electronic monitors and optical monitoring, they reported any findings on a biweekly basis, keeping attention especially on the areas of some preexisting cracks.
- Landscape design: The design incorporates connections to nature and vegetation wherever possible, including loggia, balconies and terrace gardens. Each individual planter is set in the concrete structure, which means its associated irrigation and drainage piping must feed through the concrete.
“We’re incredibly proud to help Jeff Greene and COOKFOX bring this historic building back to life,” says Keith Mason, project manager for Pavarini McGovern. “From preserving the façade to reusing 100-year-old wood joists as interior features, this tower will be a beautiful example of how to blend the old with the new.”
The primary members of the project team building 100 Vandam include:
- Owner: Jeff Greene
- Architect: COOKFOX Architects
- MEP Engineer: Lilker Associates Consulting Engineers
- Structural Engineer: Severud Associates
- Landscape Architect: terrain-nyc
Pendry Manhattan West
Pavarini McGovern announced today that the Pendry Manhattan West project has reached its “topping out” milestone as the superstructure of the 21-story hotel reached its highest point.
Designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill and being built by Pavarini McGovern, Pendry Manhattan West, which will be Pendry Hotels & Resorts’ first New York City property, will feature 164 guestrooms including 30 suites; a signature restaurant; a lounge and vibrant open-air terrace bar; and meeting and event space.
Manhattan West is an eight-acre, six-building, mixed-use development, stretching from Ninth Avenue to Tenth Avenue and 31st Street to 33rd Street on Manhattan’s Far West Side. In Brookfield placemaking style, Manhattan West will feature nearly six million square feet of state-of-the-art office space; luxury residences at The Eugene; the Pendry Manhattan West; dynamic urban retail amenities that will bring together high-end, experiential shops and innovative culinary concepts; and a vibrant urban landscape centered around a two-acre public plaza, all enlivened with public art and events by Arts Brookfield, Brookfield’s award-winning arts and entertainment program.
“The Pendry will perfectly complement the other amenities and offerings in the neighborhood,” says Marc DePaul, Pavarini McGovern project executive. “We’re very excited and proud to mark this milestone for the project and for Manhattan West.”
Pendry Manhattan West is slated to be completed in 2021. The primary members of the project team include:
- Owner: Brookfield Properties
- Architect: Skidmore Owings & Merrill
- MEP Engineer: Jaros Baum & Bolles